And It Came To Pass...Usually

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Coconuts & Picket Fences

I've been getting lots of ideas for my classroom by stealing borrowing other people's ideas. My room is gonna rock this year! I'm having to go through a major "personality shift" as far as my room goes, since I'm going from teaching kids in grades 1-4 to preschool, and most of what I've done in the past is too mature for the little kids. So, my ideas so far:

*Outside my door on the hallway wall I'm going to have a brown field surrounded by a picket fence. It'll have a large green tree, and a "Welcome" sign that says "Welcome to Mrs. ___'s Orchard!" I'll have apples on the tree, and each will have a student's name on it. The great thing about this is I can vary it easily each month without having to change the bulletin board outside my room every month. I can just take down the apples and put up pumpkins on the fence, or turkeys, or snowmen, or... you get the idea.

*Inside my room I'll have a huge palm tree at an orange papered bulletin board with the words "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom...Will there be enough room?" (in purple...which looks like the book). As we learn letters through the year we'll put them on a coconut and put them up on the tree.

*I'm going to have a "Look What I Can Do!" board...showcasing the skills the kids will be working on from their IEP's. Basically, it'll list each goal/benchmark from the IEP that I'll be working on (in other words, only classroom goals...I won't be tracking things like OT or PT goals, since the OT/PT will do that), with a place to write the date and have some type of color code system for attempted, completed, and mastered. This way, parents will be able to see at a glance how their child is doing at meeting goals/benchmarks.

*I'm going to have an interactive number line. I'm going to cut out large numbers (about 5x7...most likey out of cool scrapbooking paper) and mount them on pieces of posterboard. Next to each number I'll hot glue something from the classroom in that number (like 1 pair of scissors, 2 pencils, 3 crayons, etc.). They'll be mounted on the wall where they are easily seen, but also easily accessible for teaching with.

Is anyone else excited yet???

3 Comments:

  • Can I come to your class? I miss the fun classrooms the teachers had ... yours sounds especially enticing!

    By Blogger Elozia Marie, at 1:12 PM  

  • That sounds fun!! I can still remember some of the things my teachers had in my classrooms growing up!

    By Blogger Alicia, at 1:03 PM  

  • Love your tree idea - I did soemthign similar with the birthday tree in Priamry... each month the bday kids' names were on a different symbol.

    Hope things get off to a smooth start!

    By Blogger Lei, at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home